Beatrice's Goat, Page McBrier
- Beatrice Biira's story was turned into a children's book, and she was featured on “60 Minutes”, but I knew nothing about her until I read
Black Beauty, Anna Sewell
- The last book Ludwig Wittgenstein read --- the book he read as he lay dying --- was 'Black Beauty.'
I have always wondered why.
Wittgenstein was argua
- There was no school on Martin Luther King's birthday, so I asked our daughter --- age “four-and-a-half-and-three-quarters” --- to pick o
Eloise, Kay Thompson
- Actually, the title is “Kay Thompson’s Eloise” --- like a movie directed by a screen giant.
Fancy Nancy, Jane O'Connor
- Eloise doesn't translate to the new millennium. The Plaza's gone to hotel heaven; might we interest you in a condo?
Flotsam, David Wiesner
- When the little one was “four-and-a-half-and-three-quarters-but-in-my-head-I'm-seven,” boy, wass she ready to read.
I Want My Hat Back, Jon Klassen
- There’s a big fight raging over a very small --- 120 words, 40 pages --- book for kids.
Some people say --- along with the New York Times, which
- Kids who are not hunkering down with Harry Potter could do much worse than begin any of the four books in the Roald Dahl gift set.
Dahl's books appeal
- When Robert Sabuda was growing up in a small rural town in Michigan, his mother would read him bedtime stories.
- “Every Thing On It,” published eleven years after Shel Silverstein’s death, arrived yesterday. Homework was instantly abandoned
- “The most boring field of all is art,” says Taro Gomi, the Japanese artist who has illustrated about 300 books.
The Hundred Dresses, Eleanor Estes
- When she was young --- this was almost a century ago --- Eleanor Estes went to school with a Polish girl who was so poor that she wore the same dres