A Love Supreme, John Coltrane
- On December 9, 1964 --- as I write, forty years ago to the day --- tenor saxophonist John Coltrane gathered his band in a darkened studio in New Jer
How's this for a Cinderella story?
The boy never knew his father.
Ali Farka Toure
- March 7, 2006 - Ali Farka Toure died in his sleep last night.
Amadou & Mariam: Dimanche a Bamako
- Do you like music that makes you happy?
I don't mean moderately happy, 7.5 on a scale of 10, isn't it a great day happy, kind of sort of happy.
Amadou and Mariam: Folila
- There’s nothing harder than creating the follow-up to genius.
The next Shakespeare play produced after “Hamlet” was….”T
- Christmas comes early this year.
- Saving Barnes & Noble: Someone has to do it, or Amazon will rule bookworld.
- Cesaria Evora died over the weekend at her home on her native island of Sao Vicente.
Can't place it? It's one of the Cape Verde islands.
Chavela Vargas (1919-2012)
- The challenge of the obituary, a great newspaperman wrote, is to make people care about a person they never heard of and is now dead.
Confession: I ne
Divas of Mali
- I know why the caged bird sings.
Mali once controlled much of the African gold trade; now it's the world's fifth poorest nation.
- In the middle of the night, when it’s so quiet that you can barely hear the breeze, what kind of music would you want to hear?
Fajar di Atas Awan, Suarasama
Fajar di Atas Awan
Few things are more fun than having something terrific that no one has --- or even knows