Appassionato Yo-Yo Ma
Yo-Yo Ma can't be accused of hiding behind the great composers --- every envelope
- Do you recall how Michael Moore handled the attack on the World Trade Center in 'Fahrenheit 9/11'?
To the surprise of those who hate him, he
Bach: Mass in B minor
- Bach’s B Minor Mass was never played in his lifetime, but once it was discovered a century or so later, it was an object of awe.
Bach: Suites for Unaccompanied Cello
- Considering that the Bach Cello Suites live in the marrow of millions and millions of music lovers, it seems hard to believe that these six masterpi
Beethoven: Piano Concertos
- If you're in the mood to hear five of the greater piano concertos ever written --- and if my experience is any guide, it's a very easy mood to slip
Carmina Burana, Carl Orff
- Some would say that the most overplayed piece of classical music --- if only because people continue to get married --- is Pachelbel's Canon in D.
Four Last Songs, Richard Strauss
- If you've seen The Year Of Living Dangerously --- Peter Weir's 1982 film about a young journalist looking to make a name for himself in Indonesia ---
Gabriel Faure: Requiem
- It's been a year of unexpected deaths and serious illnesses of friends --- reality telling us who's boss.
Which set me to thinking: Have you ever
Jacqueline du Pre
- Her career lasted only 12 years, but if had been only half as long, she'd be considered one of the greatest cellists of the century --- her playing
- This is the age of the phenomenon, of unknowns rising like rockets and lighting up the sky until they're all we can see. But only briefly.
Lara St. John
Bach: BWV 1041, Allegro assai
Is there a more frequently recorded piece of classical music than Vivaldi's Four Seasons?
Miserere, Gregorio Allegri
- Rome. Easter Week.
The year: 1639 or 1790, it's all the same.
The Matins service at the Vatican. 3 AM.
Twenty-seven candles are lit.
- January 27, 2006: Mozart's 250th birthday. He's looking good for someone his age. But then, he should look good --- he's immortal.