- If you're of a certain age, this CD is an invitation to time-travel back to the 1960s. Not the '60s of war protest.
The Dionne Warwick Collection
- How can you tell if you're young?
Well, when you think of Dionne Warwick, do you think of those infomercials for the Psychic Friends Network?
Is the l
- I usually make fun of Valentine’s Day. It’s too depressing to do anything else. All those couples jammed into restaurants.
- It's damn rare that a three-minute pop confection digs under your skin, lyrics sticking to the tip of your tongue, a mental itch clawing at you so
Aretha Franklin: Lady Soul
- So Aretha Franklin, godmother to Whitney Houston, didn't sing at Whitney’s funeral.
Still, comparisons flash --- they can’t not.
Corinne Bailey Rae
- I don't watch “Grey's Anatomy.” I don't follow the pop charts, I don't watch awards shows.
He Is the Light, Al Green
- For a lot of people, Al Green is the sophisticated version of Barry White.
Consider the songs he released in the early 1970s: "T
- It takes nothing away from Michael Jackson to say that James Brown set the stage for him.
Look here, and you can see Michael say it himself.
Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell
- What songs do you find in the duets of Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell, recorded in long ago 1967?
Oh, just classics: “Ain’t No Mountai
Otis Redding: Live in Europe
- One of the greatest live recordings ever made begins with the corniest of introductions --- a self-consciously “groovy” MC has the French
Otis Redding: Love Man
- I’ve spent more time than usual in the car this summer, ferrying the child around. Naturally, we listen to her music.
Interview and Performance Snippets
Cherish the Day
Spirit in the Dark, Aretha Franklin
- There's a lot to be said for loud music; raw energy is the foundation of rock.
But there's also a lot to be said for quiet music, like Chopin, th